Monday, October 25, 2010

Be Bold!

So, long story short, I am hosting the annual Harvest Party for Wildewood on the 30th. We are doing it at Bellevue Berry Farm this year and I'm really excited about it. It's one of our biggest events and we usually see an influx of visiting families. I find this to be an incredible opportunity to make connections in our community and it lets those who don't know Christ, hear about him in a new way. Anyways, usually every Monday morning there is a stack of "Sign In-Sign Up" cards on my desk. They are small sheets of paper where families can "sign in" and show us their attendance and also a quick way for them to sign up for any events or volunteer opportunities.  This morning I just had one. There was nothing on the front - no name - no other information. The back looked like this...




(In case you can't read it, it says, "It is a real shame we are spending money on a Harvest Party when so many people in the church are struggling to put food on the table.")

At first, I was a little put off. HOW DARE YOU SAY ANYTHING BAD ABOUT MY HARVEST PARTY! But then, I settled down and realized that indeed they were right. We're going to spend about $2,000 on a Harvest party and we have so many families that are in need. I thank God for this paper, because it really did remind me where to put our money, time, etc. But also, because it gave me a lot of new ideas for future events - externally focused events. Anyways, I found myself still bothered - not by the note itself, but by the lack of name on the front. (Note: this isn't the first time "negative" notes have come in without a name.) Why are adults so afraid to speak their mind and own their opinions? I would LOVE to sit down with whomever wrote this and figure out just what families they feel need our help - I would help them! I am consistently frustrated with adults who can't just be honest - be bold! There's nothing wrong with disagreeing or feeling like we're headed in the wrong direction, but writing notes on a sign in-sign up sheet and not being willing to take ownership of your opinions is cowardly. I am in children's ministry, but I find more often than not that the children I deal with are actually adults. My vent is done. Thank you.

3 comments:

  1. Jeez you have a tough job! I think like you said the person's message wasn't a bad one, but the delivery was terrible. How much more effective would that person have been if they had approached you about it and in a non-confrontational way? I would have been so pissed if I were you!

    I guess the whole premise of the note sort of bothers me. There are so many people in the world that have it so much worse than anyone in your congregation could possibly have it. Even the poorest Americans are wealthy by the world’s standards. If you’re a poor Nebraskan that can’t feed your family, the government will provide you food (stamps). So if we’re really handing out money based on need, then it probably shouldn’t go to anyone in your congregation. However, I don’t think money should be distributed solely based on need. I think a large part of church is about community and fellowship and if the Harvest party helps build that, then it’s probably a good investment. Don’t get me wrong, it is also important to take care of the people in your community that have fallen on tough times, but that can’t be your only focus or you will soon lose the community. Stay strong (and keep blogging) :) Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I'm really not that mad...just frustrated at people who put poorly-thought-out comments on a piece of paper and refuse to take responsibility for it. You shouldn't express your opinions at all unless you're willing to admit that they are, in fact, YOUR opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PREACH IT GIRL! love you. and this blog. :)

    ReplyDelete