Friday, April 29, 2011

Beef Enchiladas = Comatose Husband

If I haven't informed the blogging world yet, I am officially down to ONE job. :) It's been the biggest blessing and I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off of my shoulders. My favorite thing that has happened is that I've been able to use my kitchen and all my fun wedding gifts! I was so busy working two jobs that I had no time to cook - which is one of my favorite things to do! I had always dreamed that when I got married, I would make dinner and have it ready for when my husband came home from work...I hadn't been able to do that more than a handful of times because of our conflicting schedules, but now it's a priority. My mom swears that the excitement of cooking every night will eventually fade...apparently almost 33 years of making meals has her a little burned out. Ha!

Last night, I made one of my (and my family's) all-time favorite meals: Beef Enchiladas. At this time I am going to give a shout-out to my Aunt Frances! She had us over for dinner one night a long time ago - she made these enchiladas and started the addiction. She gave us the recipe for them and it's one that I'll keep handy for the rest of my life! Thanks Aunt Francie - you are one of the best cook/bakers I know! (And now that I know you're reading my blog, you may get more shout outs in the future!)

This recipe is by far the BEST enchilada recipe I have ever had - and I've tried a lot. In fact, this was the first meal I ever made for Brad when we were dating - he raved about them then and he got very excited when I mentioned making them last night. :) Unfortunately, Brad ate these and then slept for over an hour - missing the better portion of the movie we rented. If you choose to make these, you may end up with a very unproductive husband for the evening. You have been warned. Ha! Well, without further ado, here's the original recipe (with a few of my personal changes in purple)...and a few pictures!

Beef Enchiladas

Ingredients
10 large or 16 small flour tortilla (8 burrito sized)
1 1/2 lbs ground beef (2 lbs - for meatier enchiladas)
4 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
3/4 cup green onion (1 cup)
3/4 cup sour cream (1 cup)
3 Tbs. parsley
1/4 tsp. pepper
24 oz. tomato sauce
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
3 Tbs. chopped green chiles (5 Tbs.)
1 Tbs. chili powder (2 Tbs.)
1/4 tsp. ground cumin (1/2 tsp.)

Directions:
Cook and stir beef until light brown; drain. Remove from heat. Stir in 2 cups cheese, onion, sour cream, parsley, and pepper. Cover and reserve. Heat remaining ingredients in medium sauce pan to boiling. Simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.


Spoon 1/4 cup beef mixture (I used a heaping 1/3 cup portion) onto each tortilla; roll tortilla around filling. Arrange in 12x7x2 dishes (I used one 9x13 baking dish). Pour sauce over enchiladas, then sprinkle remaining cheese (2 cups) over top. Cook uncovered in 350* oven for 20 minutes. (I left them in for 25 min)

VOILA!
 
 Hope you all get to try them sometime! They are truly delicious! Thanks, again, Aunt Francie!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Thanks for making me famous! Sadly, I don't think I've made these since I made them for you, so thanks for the recipe!!! Crazy!

    ReplyDelete