Friday, April 22, 2011

That's My King

I love Easter - definitely my favorite holiday. And I know that's really "Christian" of me to say, but I genuinely love it. I had a conversation with someone at work the other day that was very interesting. She knew what I did full time (children's minister) and had questions about my faith. I was very complimented when she said she appreciated that I didn't shove my beliefs and values down her throat. That's my goal. In fact, I hate actually referring to myself as a Christian - not because I'm ashamed of loving Christ, but simply because of the negative connotation that so many idiots have attached to the title. Anyways, she asked me if I would call myself a Christian. I responded, "I prefer to call myself a Christ Follower or a Committed Believer or a Daughter of the King." That last one caught her attention and she told me that from what she knew, Jesus didn't live in a castle and have servants and affairs, and illegitimate children - so there was no way he was a King. I talked about how Jesus was a very different kind of King. The conversation that ensued was interesting and messy and really good...somehow, with her background and my fumbling words, we still left with a mutual respect and understanding of each other.

The more I thought about it after I left, I remembered a sermon from S.M. Lockridge that I heard in college that makes me tear up every time I hear it. I searched for it on google and found a video someone made with images from The Passion of the Christ set to the words of the sermon! What a great reminder of the kind of King we worship on Easter. Enjoy!

P.S. No offense intended, but there is something about African American preachers that just get me all fired up! And what an incredible job of pairing adverbs and adjectives so well!

No comments:

Post a Comment