Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Jesus Juking

Jon Acuff
I was recently introduced to a blog written by Jon Acuff called "Stuff Christians Like." That blog actually sparked him to write a book by the same title - basically just poking fun at all the stupid, stereotypical things that Christians do. He, himself, is actually a Christian, so no one needs to go egging his door. Also, he is the right hand man to Dave Ramsey (famed author of "Financial Peace University").

Anyways, one of his blog posts, which you can find HERE is called "The Jesus Juke." With most of his blog posts, I laugh - but man, I LAUGHED when I read this one. I think Jesus Juking is something we're all a little guilty of and quite frankly, need to stop doing... So, what is Jesus Juking, you may ask? Well, you are more than welcome to read Jon's full definition, but I'll pull out the one paragraph that says it all.

"Like a football player juking you at the last second and going a different direction, the Jesus Juke is when someone takes what is clearly a joke filled conversation and completely reverses direction into something serious and holy."

I'll be honest - on many occasions, I have nearly drop-kicked anyone who Jesus Jukes me. It is annoying and rude and like Jon said, kind of like Debbie Downer off of SNL....waaaah waaaaaaaaaah! And now, a recent example from my life:

Recently, a couple of colleagues and myself were in my office joking about something...I can't even recall what it was. Anyways, we were all laughing and having a good conversation, when an older gentleman stopped in and said, "If only the plight of the lost souls were this funny, then maybe we'd have all your guys' attention to do ministry." WHOA! I think people are way too intense - WAY too intense. I know God has a sense of humor and I know that He appreciates when those He loves can laugh and enjoy life.

I really like Jon's 3 "things to know" about the practice of Jesus Juking...
1) It generates shame.
2) It never leads to good conversation.
3) I've never met someone who was juked to Jesus.

Anyways, please read his article - it's so funny and so true and he explains it all in much further detail. I hope you all can enjoy his blog as much as I have!

No comments:

Post a Comment